These really jazz up your Mexican meal, they are easy and last a while in the fridge and the color is AMAZING!!
They are adapted from this recipe (the pork was also amazing, but I lost the photos I took 😦 ).
6 red onions, thinly sliced
juice of a pink grapefruit
juice of an orange
juice of a lime
1 tsp of sea salt
- Place onions in a heat proof bowl, cover with boiling water and set aside for 1 -2 minutes.
- Drain, and refresh under cold water, return to bowl.
- Combine juice and salt, stir to dissolve salt. Add to onions.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour, the flavor and color will deepen.
These will keep in the refrigerator for at least a few days.
- Word of the Week – Escabeche & How To Make Pickled Jalapeño & Habanero Chilies (psykdeliasmith.wordpress.com)