This is an American style chocolate pudding, however my Nana calls it a blancmange and it’s similar to chilled dairy desserts available here in Australia, such as Yogo.
This is a low cal version (1% milk, sugar alternative), that will give you a chocolate, creamy sweet hit!
However, feel free to play with it. For Yogo, leave out the dark chocolate, and use a little less cocoa to get a lighter color. Use real sugar, and add more chocolate! Or ever better make a decant dessert by replacing some milk with cream and melting Nutella through it!
For Aussie’s with kids, replace the cocoa with Milo, and make a homemade version of those Milo dairy snacks at the supermarket.
You could also add more vanilla for a vanilla flavor, or some other flavored powdered drinks for strawberry, caramel etc.
Ingredients for 4 small serves
2 cups of 1% milk (or milk of your choice)
3 tbs of cornflour
3 tbs of cocoa (this makes it very chocolatey, use less if you like)
4 squares of 70% cocoa dark chocolate
half a tsp of vanilla essence
2 tbs of powered steevia (use sweetener of you choice and adjust to taste)
Nuts or toasted coconut to top if you like
- Put milk and chocolate in a saucepan on low heat, stir until chocolate is melted.
- Once melted shift in flour and cocoa, while stirring to prevent lumps, add vanilla.
- Increase heat to medium and stir continually, until thick. Be careful it does not catch on the bottom of the pan.
- Pour into containers, add any toppings.
- Refrigerate until cold, or eat hot like a custard.
- Chocolate Pudding (spoonful.com)
- Baby Freindly Blancmange…Sugar Free Pudding Time (wildandwisdom.com)